This time-lapse video provides an illustration of the dewatering process.
327 Hour Time Lapse Video
The ongoing process optimisation research is being conducted in collaboration with Western University and is investigating the following research questions:
- Dewatering behaviour at high % solids (>50%)
- Optimisation of energy consumption
- Anode conservation
- Impact of flocculants
- Impact of fines content
- Control of densification patterns
- Improving dewatering predictability
Results from this program have already answered some of important questions.
- The ability of the technology to dewater to greater than 65% solids has been proven through repeated tests.
- The process can be controlled to produce uniform vertical and horizontal density gradients eliminating the potential for soft spots or off-spec product.
- The EKS forecasting system used for engineering design and system operation purposes has been empirically validated.
- The energy efficiency of commercial-scale systems id forecast to be comparable or better than with small-scale tests.